New Year, New...ish Me. Happy 2018!

January 01, 2018

Hello, my lovelies and Happy New Year to you! I hope you all had a wonderful break and feel rejuvenated for the year ahead.  2017 was a funny one for me because I feel like I mainly coasted.
 2016 was such a disaster, I felt nervous about doing anything brave or innovative in the fear that things would go disastrously wrong. I also believe I coasted because I got into a frame of mind of feeling grateful. 2017 was a year of appreciating everything I have instead of constantly craving for what I don’t. It also made me value my family and the ride or die friendships I cherish dearly. Finally, it made me gain a certain confidence in myself I’ve never had before. Cutting my hair off was honestly a metaphor for me finally giving zero fucks.

A personality trait I have struggled with for years is worrying far too much about what other people think of me, or if they like me. 2017 was the year was the year of me caring a lot less. You can’t be liked or desired by everyone, so you might as well do and be you. As RU Paul famously quotes “What other people think of me is none of my business."

I was also lucky to travel lots (Dubai, Thailand, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Ibiza and Amalfi Coast) and the key learning is that travelling makes me happy and I should do more of it.
My style didn’t really change. I think I’m at the stage where I’m happy with my wardrobe and only want to make edits moving forward. My short hair has given me reign to look more edgy in various ensembles, but that’s about it. The highlight has to be me designing my own African collection.

Best 8 of 2017
This year, I want to balance work with exploring my creative outlet. I will always be the career driven kinda of girl but I need to make time for the things I’m passionate about (e.g. singing, songwriting, blogging and travelling)
As usual, I have some learnings to take me into 2018:
1                       1) Make a list of things that make you happy big or small, and do more of it
2             2) One of the most attractive things about anyone is having confidence in their authentic self
3             3) Tell people you love that you love them more often. Make time for them, hug them more. Life is short
4            4) Procrastinate no more. Find a passion and do it! No more excuses.
5            5) Enjoy the here n now moments and worry less about the future (less doesn’t mean not at all)
6           6) If you’re going to work on evolving as a person, work on being a kinder, better version of you and no one else

Happy new Year! Here’s to 2018

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Most Popular